Shardul Pandey ∙ 29 weeks ago
Here's my blog http://lamp.sangkrit.net/
Liked ur FB page :-)
(please ignore my header, im swapping that ugly thing out!)
** Edit: lol omg~ every time I finish a review for someone, there's new requests! please be patient with me, it takes me at least 20-30 mins to review each blog (and yes i have a life with very little free time). but i do like to help people out and i'm feeling nice (I usually charge $100+/hr. for this type of design advice)! please please like my facebook btw, or else I will harras you to :D
Here's my blog http://lamp.sangkrit.net/
Liked ur FB page :-)
First off, this site looks exactly like what i would expect it to look like since it is regarding linux, apache, etc. This isn't exactly a good thing, but it may be passable since your readers most likely consist of developers. HOWEVER! Your site is meant to be user friendly and help out developers, not confuse them even more by all of the cluttered text.
1. It's great that you are using a fluid design that adjusts to different browsers, but please don't allow your site to stretch all the way to the moon and back. You should have a max width because your posts summaries are starting to get dwindled down to only a couple of lines the more I stretch out the window.
2. Include 1 photo to be shown in each post before the user clicks on "continue reading." This will help separate the posts on your main page and make it look less crowded and wordy.
3. For your right side column, There is so much text there that I don't even want to bother reading through it. Consider looking up how to write better post titles that are concise. Try using bullet points or alternating background colors for each link instead of the left aligned grey horizontal rectangle with the blue hover state. Also check the leading (space between lines of text) and try to add extra space between each link.
Oh yea, and thanks for the facebook page like! Much appreciated Shardul :)
Thank you very very much :-)
Latest blogger tips and tricks
Your site overall is very good and well organized. I did not have much trouble navigating it. You have great usage of colors to help create a separation of space between posts, columns, etc. Also, I agree with the level of hierarchy for your provided informations such as sponsors, contact, categories, etc.
1. The main problem that I see is your right side column. I get that you have divided your column into sections, but I think you could do a better job with your section headers. Really try to make these section headers stand out better and look more uniform with each other. This will no doubt greatly improve your site.
2. You have different areas all over your site for following your blog, becoming a fan, GFC, etc. Why not put them all in the same area and not make it so confusing? I would recommend moving everything under one section on your right side bar. For your bottom footer "followers", instead of only highlighting GFC here, I would put a link for GFC, google +, pinterest, etc. (similar to what you have done in the footer for "Connect with us.")
3. I suggest changing the text font colors so that it stands out more against the dark background (or vice versa). Also, I think the footer would look a lot cleaner without the icons to the left of each title.
Hope all of this helps you!
If you think my comments above are useful, please help me out by liking my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/xliciousgirl
My first time blogging, would love your thoughts:
Hello Neel! Thanks for entering my giveaway! You are actually supposed to use the Rafflecopter plugin to enter, but thats okay, I'll still give you your one entry :)
If you can, please like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/xliciousgirl
Ok~ now onto your blog! At first glance, your page looks very clean, fun, and nice to look at. I really love the usage of the wood background. It gives the blog a feeling that it is something physical and not just online. My personal taste is that I would make the wood background fixed, haha but that doesn't make much of a difference design wise. I love the set up of your blog and how it features 3 main articles on top and the rest on the bottom with an infinite scroll (I'm assuming its infinite and you just don't have many posts). I also like your font face and how all of the weights and sizes are appropriate. Your logo is cute too! Also props on having rollover states, it really makes blogs nicer (most people are too lazy, like me for example).
1. Your images look a bit too stock image-y. Its fine to use stock images but I would try to get more personal looking images with people in it. For example, do not use the image in your article "When Doctors Complain," but do use images like the one you used for "The Hi-Tech Classroom." This helps differentiate from blogs that just pump out articles with stock images, and helps make your content seem more meaningful and personal.
2. I know you are a new blogger, but once you've collected a decent amount of followers, I would suggest having a section at your footer to show them off. This helps let people know that your blog is not dead and that there is actually a community of readers.
3. The last thing I can say for your blog is that you should add a bit more personality to it. Make it fun, like how your logo looks fun. Give your blog a distinct voice that makes it stand out. You don't need to be very formal either with some of your writing (like in section titles, etc.), but know where to draw the line.
Overall your blog is off to a great start. Btw, big props on having a site that adjusts itself to different browsers. Perfect for mobile, ipad, and computers. Great layout! Best of luck to you Neel.
- Sarah -
Hey there~ Hope you had a good weekend! I sure did :) Anyways, now that it's monday and I'm back at work (not working, lol)... I can get back to reviewing a couple more sites. You are next on the list!
Games are fun, your blog needs more of it.
1. The first thing I thought when I got to your blog is.. "Oh, isn't this one of the default templates for Blogger?" You need to customize your blog layout, more specifically, customize your colors. When I think of games, I don't think of baby blue and white.. I imagine some cool gun metal black, grays, subtle glowing.. Anyways, you should also design a header or some icons around the site that help brand it.
2. You have good original posts. That is the first step to any blog. But, you need to use photos. Luckily I know all of the games that you mention because I have to advertise for all these games at work, but I'm sure there are tons of other people who might not. Find some fun screen shots online or at least show an image of what you are talking about. It really helps make reading a little more bearable.
3. For your navigation at the bottom of the page, you have the option to click "Older Posts." I would suggest instead of having the one page back, one page forward type bottom nav, you should change it to page numbers. Have it list out every page number until the very first post that you have ever done. This helps allow vistors to easily access all of your content. (if you want an example, you can check it out on my blog http://xliciousgirl.com)
Just do the above 3 things and your blog will be 1000x's better. Pictures and imagery really can make or break a site. In addition, you have a gaming blog, and your blog NEEDS to have more images.
Please help me out by liking my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/xliciousgirl
HI, Sarah! I have a music blog that I started recently. I'm new at blogging and there's a bunch of stuff I'm thinking about doing to the site, but I'd love your opinion on what I should focus on fixing.
Here's a link: http://giraffegy.blogspot.com/
Btw, the "Search The Music" section is new and I'm still tweaking it, so I know it's pretty rough.
Hey Audrey! I love your blog. I'm listening to the song "Sun Of A Gun" as we speak right now. I can tell that you have put a lot of time and thought into creating your blog. I think the color choices are appropriate for a music blog as well. You did a good job of skinning your blog and branding it. To take your blog a step further...
1. I would suggest incorporating some of the branding that you have already created through the colors on your blog into your header area. It doesn't have to be a big ole header, but I'm thinking more of a logo. Just a little extra detail to the blog title or an icon or something next to it. This will do a lot for your blog.
2. Try to keep the font type, sizes, and colors the same throughout your site. I'm not saying everything should be the same, you can have like 3-5 different styles of type, but you should always use the same style for the same type of content. Example, always use the same font style for all of your titles, or the same for all of your album names, etc. In your "About the Site" page for example, you use a different orange color. It should be the same orange that you have been using in your site. Consistency is key.
3. Its great that you have your blog archive and genres prominently displayed at the top of your right side column. This is very appropriate for your music blog. You can take it a step further and do what I advised the person above you to do. I'm gonna quote myself: "For your navigation at the bottom of the page, you have the option to click "Older Posts." I would suggest instead of having the one page back, one page forward type bottom nav, you should change it to page numbers. Have it list out every page number until the very first post that you have ever done. This helps allow vistors to easily access all of your content. (if you want an example, you can check it out on my blog http://xliciousgirl.com)"
Other than those, I think you are on the right track. Btw, I think your "Search The Music" section is just fine and a great idea/addition to your site. Yes, it does need a tiny bit of tweaking, but i love it so far! You have a lot of other good things going for you in your blog. Very well thought out layout for each of your music posts, great share feature on the right, good integration of spotify and exfm, very clear explanation about the site and how to use it.
Good luck to you and your new blog. It's definitely off to a great start!
Would you be so kind as to like my facebook page?
Much appreciated :)
- sarah -
I'm so glad you liked my blog and thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback!
1. I've definitely been wanting to do something like that. The plain text as the header is bothering me.
2. The only font I really messed with was the title. I kinda left the rest of the blog to the blogger defaults. Do you think I should change it? And on the odd orange color in "About the Site", I had changed the color 'cause I didn't know if it was good to just use the same few colors over and over. Glad to hear that's okay to do.
3. That's a great idea! It would definitely make it easier to look through. Thanks!
Again, thanks! I liked your facebook page for you. :)
yay thanks for liking my page :)
its fine btw to have different font styles around the site depending on what its for... so in your case, you could have used something different. but since u choose another orange color, it turned out a little strange because its not "different enough."
i would just stick to your standard font that you've been using though since your site looks pretty clean over all!
Awww, thanks so much
welcome feel free to drop by :)
sure I would love to hear what you have to say. Thanks
Your blog is only what you make it, lolll, I just had to say that. Anyways, your biggest problem on your blog is that it's a mess! Very very cluttered with images of all different sizes posted all over. Honestly, theres so much stuff going on that I kind of don't even want to figure things out? The content is good however, and you seem like a very nice and fun mom :)
1. Try to tidy things up. In your left side column, try to make all of the images the same width. If thats too much work for you, I would recommend changing the background color of the column so that it is very clearly separated from your main content. In your footer, you have tons and tons of random banners, links, and everything possible floating around. Try to really consolidate things into categories so it is clear what everything is.
2. For your navigation tabs at the top, it would be great if the tabs could all fit on the same row? I would suggest shortening the name of the tabs and using the long fun names that you currently have as the page title.
3. Work on your hierarchy of information. I would move up any important information for your blog towards the top of your column (ex. about you, contact, how to follow your blog, etc) and secondary information after (ex. personal photos, quotes, etc).
Anyways, your site has a lot of potential and its great to see how active of a person you are. I loved looking at your bucket list too. I think it might be a good idea for you to really spend some time organizing the information on your blog. I think thats your biggest problem. I'm not really a fan of the header either btw, mostly because of the date on the bottom right.. But it does have a sort of "personal blog" feel to it that I appreciate.
Hope this helps :)
and please like my facebook page:
- Sarah -
review mine !!! tell me if it sucks
Your blog isn't too bad, and I can learn to appreciate some of the content that you provide. But there are a few things that I'd like to note..
1. When I first land on your page, it looks like the whole upper part of your page (basically above the fold), is all advertisements. But when I look closer, I realize that you have some sort of featured blog posts (5 of them) placed under your ad banner. So heres the problem, your featured 5 blog posts looks like an Ads to me when I glance at it! Here is what I recommend, move your 728x90 advertisement banner to the right of your blog logo and move your 5 posts to your right side column. I don't think that those 5 posts do much for you up there... But if you insist on keeping it there, make sure to label what it is (example: recommended posts)!!!
2. You kind of have GFC, twitter, G+, fb like and such scattered around your blog. Put them all in the same area. I would recommend towards the top of your right column or create a footer area for it.
3. I recommend cleaning up your footer area. Right in between "Hot This Week" and "Blog Archive," you have a weird middle area. Shift all that stuff in the middle down to the bottom of your page, similar to how you would see "sponsors" on a lot of websites. I would have them go across in a line or two, centered. Either that or create another column in the footer for that bunch of information.
Anyways, your blog feels cluttered with Ads. The main thing you should really focus on is my first point. Move up your actual content so that it is above the fold.
Good luck dudee!
Now go like my facebook page, please:
- sarah -
thanks for the reply!
actually i cant move the banner ads to the right side because it doesnt fit. Oh yeah, heheh my featured post looks lik ads :-)
I'll take your advice and rearrange some of my widgets :-)
Comments always welcome
Musings and other Ramblings... Of a crazy/beautiful mind
So.... you got me to click on your "Naughty Pictures" tab. hahaha, I lol'd.
1. I'm not a fan of your pixilated header image. If you are planning on only having text in your header, I would recommend not taking up so much height area on your blog. Page real estate is very important, and I think you are wasting it with that header. You should try to get as much of your content above the fold as possible.
2. I think how your organize your information on your left and right columns is important. having two columns is a little bit more tricky because when a visitor comes to your site, they don't know where to find information and their eyes end up skipping back and forth as they scroll down. You should list out all of the items that you want to feature on your side bar (about me, blogs i read, popular posts, etc) and try to divide the group into two halves. One half should probably consist of everything that has to do with following your blog and how to engage in your blog content etc, and your other half whatever else you can figure it to be. Then start arranging each side by whats most important. Chances are when someone lands on your page, they wont scroll down all the way, so you want your important information towards the top.
3. I said this to someone else before. I'm gonna quote myself: "For your navigation at the bottom of the page, you have the option to click "Older Posts." I would suggest instead of having the one page back, one page forward type bottom nav, you should change it to page numbers. Have it list out every page number until the very first post that you have ever done. This helps allow vistors to easily access all of your content. (if you want an example, you can check it out on my blog http://xliciousgirl.com)"
Good luck yo! Nice blog anyways. Your blog layout in general is pretty good and clean. I think your footer quote would look a lot nicer if it was stylized, like italics and some other font. Just a thought.
Good luck Felicia!
Now go like my facebook page, please:
Ive liked you FB page.
My site is http://www.smartpartyplanning.com
Thanks so much for liking my FB page! I appreciate it.
Now onto your blog. I'm not sure what it is about it, maybe the colors or something, but it feels kind of old? It has this sort of early 2000's look to it.
1. You need to update the look of your blog. I think you are on the right track and get the idea of trying to make your blog look party theme. But I think you can do a better job with it and make it look even more fun. Pick colors that are fun and more festive. Check out this list of blogs for inspiration (http://www.circleofmoms.com/top25/party-planning)
2. Make sure the "Party Planning Categories" are really related to party planning. I think theres a few that don't really fit in under there, such as About Me, Whats on my mind, etc. I would recommend moving your "About Me" to the bottom somewhere since the focus of your blog is on Smart Party Planning and not you. Also, just another pro-tip, make sure to keep all of your sentence casing the same. If you are gonna use caps for each word in your "Party Planning Categories" section, then keep it consistant (What's on my mind).
3. It would be a good idea for you to actually put your party planning categories at the top where you have "free party planning checklist" and "tips for planning a party." If you switched the two, I think it makes a lot more sense. You should probably also shorten the names of each categories that you have and think up of possible new ones so that you can really cover every corner of what you would plan a party for (ex. birthday, holidays, etc.)
Other than that, I think you are off to a good start. But yes, please update your color scheme or add some kind of fun graphic to your header area. If I am planning a party, I want to plan a fun one, so your design should be fun too.
- sarah -
Thanks Sarah, I appreciate you taking the time to look into this for me. I had a LOT of trouble finding a theme for this blog, a lot of themes are very boring and not party like. This one was a huge improvement on the ones i was using before, but I do see what you mean. I don't think the colours can be changed ;0( but i will check. I will also look at those categories as you suggested. Thanks ;0)
I would love to get your opinion on my blog, www.jimmykopelia.blogspot.com and if you can write a review on alexa see link http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/jimmykopelia.blogspot.com#
cheers and thank you . I will like you in facebook
Your blog is another great example of responsive design. I love the simplicity in all of it.
1. What is your blog about? It would be great if you had a little section that mentioned what your blog is. If it is something short, I would put it up at the top next to your name in the header. If it is a paragraph long or so, I would create an "About" tab next to your "Home." Your blog is fairly clean though, so you may want to create a separate tab for your about section regardless of the length of it. Also, I know you have a little pull out tab on the right side that goes to your about. I would change the image of you to either a full head shot or use an icon of a person.
2. Because your blog is so clean, it's a great opportunity to make the things that you want to stand out, reaalllyyy stand out. Consider using your favorite color as a mouse over for links or even using color to highlight/bold text that you want to be noticed.
3. Take advantage of your photos and choose them carefully. Imagery can make all the difference in your case for making your blog content come to life. You want to use images with very vivid colors and preferably images that are super high res.
Other than that, beautiful blog!
I hope that you will still like me on facebook?
Thank you for the advice. I will gradually improve my blog as I have not done because time. I already like your page. I think as James Wertheimer Lechtig or Yaakov Ben Raphael wich are my other profiles in FB.. cheers and Thanks Sarah
Hi there! I would really appreciate if you could review my blog, http://challengedfashionista.blogspot.com
Please do and share with others interested in what I am interested in! http://nynyonlinex.wordpress.com - This blog is to blog about Asian culture from an Orientialist view. Though it is my main reason to blog, I may also blog about other things that interest me e.g. video games, interracial relationships, fanfiction,
I am always seeking for reviews and suggestions. Hope you will check out mine and give some tips. Here is the link:
very cute gesture man. mine is http://www.blog.obasimvilla.com & http://www.obasimiracle.blogspot.com
Wow you have your work cut out, if you still have any energy left I would appreciate a crit.
Also if you want me to reciprocate I can see some things ;)
wow... don't you fell tired.. if no, check my web androidappmarkets.blogspot.com
Hi, if you ever have the time, here's mine: http://sheepstep.blogspot.com/
Thank you :D
I would certainly welcome some feedback, because I'm always looking to improve. I have no worries about content (I was an Editor's Pick of the Day back in March), although you may think that I cover too wide a range of subjects. However, I'm not very tech savvy, which is why I'm using one of the basic Blogger templates.
I want to know why my adsense acount is always disapproved after 3 or 4 days.
Please review mine http://www.mytravelaffairs.com
I have followed you on Twitter and Facebook already :)
Thanks so much for following me on twitter and liking my FB! You are awesome! Actually, your blog is great too, but there are a few things that I think you can tweak.
1. When I land on your home page, you do not have your latest blog post there.. Why not??? This isn't really good because people are used to having the most recent content on the homepage. I had to go to your Archives October 2012 to find your october posts.
2. Another big problem is that when I click on your logo in your header, it doesn't take me back to the home page. Instead, it just refreshes the page. I know that you have a little home button on your navigation bar, but you should really have your logo perform the same action as your home button.
3. If I were you, I would consider reorganizing what you have in your navigation bar and what you have in your right side column. I think what's most important out of everything you have is to put your list of countries in a prominent place. Because your blog is about traveling, all of the destinations that you blog about should be the most important. On your right column, you have "Categories." You should take out all of the names of countries and put those under their own titled "Countries" or "Destinations." I would move your archive down below the Countries and Categories.
You know what I think would be fun for your blog? You should have some sort of world map that shows all of the places that you HAVE been to and even one that maps out where you are going to next. That would be awesome, and even better if you can some how figure out how to click on your marked places you have been to go to that particular blog post. I think there are actually some sites/apps/widgets/plugins somewhere that do this (probably not as complex though). I think this would make your blog superrrr.
Best of luck to your! Cool blog though. You should go to Asia next!
- Sarah -
Thank You very much, I figured that I should always give first and then expect something back :)
Thank you very much for your opinions and review, you are so totally right!
1. Yes, this is my mistake but I sometimes have a lot of backlog and therefore I want to stick some post to the top cos they are actually new just written some time after my travels :) Sometimes I have problem with writing when travelling as Internet is not given everywhere around the world...like Benin :) I know I should wokr hard to be more on time with posts!
2. Already have followed that info to my IT man, you are right as I myself use this option on many pages.
3. Yes, I actually think about it from the very beginning of having a blog....this map with highlighted countries taking you to blog posts and pictures.....believe me Girl, my IT guy would tell you that it was on my list1 :) Working on that! And no application will do, it is a lot of code changing and writing therefore I have focused on other things first :)
Thanks a lot, it is really important to me, as it is easier for someone with a fresh eye then for me who looks at this blog every day :)
Really appreciate! Just have to add that so far Bloggers community came up to be the best and most helpful and responding!
hello, please do for mine. i would really appreciate your time.